There are options for paid student internships students of foreign universities. These visa statuses generally fall under the broad “Designated Activities” category of visa statuses. Within “Designated Activities,” the visa status subcategories that most apply in the case mentioned above are the “Summer Job” and “Intern” visa statuses. Both of these statuses allow paid internship activities and have many similarities, but differ in some key aspects.

 First, let’s look at the points that these statuses have in common. Both are restricted to currently enrolled students of a degree program, either undergraduate or graduate. Completely online programs are excluded from eligibility. Both visa statuses also require an agreement regarding the internship in question to exist between the educational institution at which the applicant is enrolled, and the company or organization that will accept the applicant as an intern.

  The “Summer Job” status requires that the entirety of the period of the internship occurs within an official university holiday period, such as summer break or winter vacation. This means that if a student finishes their semester earlier than other students, they still would not be able to start the internship before the official holiday period starts. Also, if the student were to take a leave of absence during the normal class session, it would not be considered an official university holiday period (however, for universities that have an optional Summer session for courses, choosing not to attend the Summer session generally does not disqualify the student from this requirement). The “Summer Job” status will only be granted with a duration of 3 months. This length is significant because only visa statuses longer than 3 months allow the applicant to receive a Residence Card and make use of the Special Re-Entry Permit system. Holders of the “Summer Job” status therefore must make an application to the Immigration Services Bureau for a Re-Entry Permit if they wish to leave Japan and re-enter during the internship.

 The “Internship” status requires that the internship form a part of the degree program as a whole, either by fulfilling a mandatory internship requirement, or otherwise by granting course credit toward graduation by completing and internship related to the course of study. The “Internship” status can be granted for periods of 3 months, 6 months, or 1 year depending on the length of the internship. Like the “Summer Job” status above, if a status of 3 months is granted, the applicant would not receive a Residence Card.

 When considering an applicant for an internship, it is therefore important to remember:
Aside from the intern, an agreement must be made between the accepting company and the educational institution regarding the internship. The internship must either entirely fall within a university holiday period, or the internship must grant course credit or fulfill a graduation requirement.

 The answer to this question depends on the specific visa status the students have, but as most international students enrolled in Japanese universities hold the “Student” visa status, our answer will focus on how internship participation would work for “Student” visa holders.

 The “Student” visa status alone generally does not permit work activities, but it is possible for students to work part-time if they make an Application for Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted to the Immigration Services Bureau. With this permit, students are able to work part-time up to 28 hours a week while classes are in session, and up to 8 hours a day while the school is in a long holiday period. If a student has this permit, there will be an ink stamp near the bottom of the back side of their Residence Card. Therefore, if the internship is within the student’s school vacation period, they would be able to participate in the internship 8 hours per day if they have the permission listed above, or 28 hours per week during the period that class is in session.

  If the internship is not within a school holiday period and would exceed 28 hours, there are some cases where it would be possible to apply for an additional Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted that would grant the student permission to work at your company exceeding 28 hours a week. To be able to apply for this, the student would generally need to be in their last year of school with most course credit required for graduation complete, or the internship itself would need to grant course credit or fulfill a graduation requirement.

 To summarize, a student would generally be able to participate in a paid internship without having to change their visa status type, but would need either the general part-time work permit, or the specific designated employer. Which of these is needed would depend on whether the internship takes place within the student’s university holiday period or not, and how many hours per week of work would be required.

 インターン生として海外から招聘を行う際には、インターンによる報酬が発生するかどうかによって、「特定活動」(9号)と「文化活動」で申請する在留資格が分かれることとなります。 実際には、インターンによる報酬が発生する場合には、「特定活動」の申請を行い、インターンによる報酬が発生しない場合には、「文化活動」を申請することとなります。どちらの申請を行う場合であっても、インターンの基本的な要件を充足する必要があります。  また、上記のどちらで申請を行う場合であっても、以下については十分留意し、理解した上で申請をすることが重要です。

 ⇒あくまでも教育課程の一環として学生は来日し、御社でのインターンシップを通して、   大学での単位認定がなされる必要がございます。そのため、インターン生が円滑に学習ができるよう、受け入れ体制の準備や経験豊富な指導員の確保が重要です。

 ⇒インターン実施が教育課程の一環である以上、学生本人が大学で学んでいる学習内容と関連したインターンが実施される必要があります。  例えば、大学の専攻がシステム関係であれば、システムエンジニアとしてインターンシップを行うなど、学歴とインターン内容の関連性が必要です。








1. 貴社がインターンシップ受入機関として、地方出入国在留管理局へ在留資格認定証明書 交付申請を提出
2. 在留資格認定証明書(COE)交付後、申請人が本国にある在外公館にて査証申請
3. 査証発給後、申請人は在留資格認定証明書および査証の2点を持参し、来日、上陸申請
4. 上陸許可を得て、インターンシップ開始



・申請人は海外の大学に通う学生であり、且つ卒業又は修了した者に対して学位が授与 される教育課程に在籍する者であること。なお、通信による教育を行う課程に在籍する 者は含まれない。
・申請人が在籍する海外の大学と日本の受け入れ機関との間で申請人のインターンシップ に係る契約が存在すること
・インターンシップの期間は、1年を超えない期間であり、且つ通算して当該大学の修業 年限の2分の1を超えないものであること(申請人が、以前にも日本でインターンシッ プに参加している場合はその期間も含む)
・その他、インターンシップの内容が、入管法で定める各種要件に即したものであり、 且つ、出入国在留管理庁が掲げるガイドラインを遵守したものであること




Copyright(c) 2021 ACROSEED Inc. All Rights Reserved.